Sunday, March 29, 2009

Day 1 -- The Cross He Bore

As I began to read for day 1, I quickly remembered why I purposed in my heart to read this book every year. As I read, I can't help but be drawn into the imagery of the moment, that I actually feel for a second, that I'm there watching everything unfold. Amazing!

I have highlighted some statements that made an impression on my soul:

"All the wisdom of believers', wrote Calvin, is comprehended in the cross of Christ."

"As the cross is central in God's eternal decrees, and in the actual redemption of his people, so it should be central in the thinking and experience of the individual Christian."

"The Gospels....Their purpose is theological, to convey to mankind what God has done in Christ for the salvation of sinners."

"'My soul, he said, is very sorrowful even to death.' This is no ordinary distress. His acquaintance with grief was unparalleled."

"...the death of Christ is different from every other death. He died as the Surety for his people and as their Substitute. Not only must he experience physical death, but also he must taste eternal death--damnation--separation from God!"

"Christ's death is not to be compared with any other....he anticipated the approaching wrath of a holy God."

Leahy goes on to end chapter one with 9 fast moving questions that draw you in even further anticipating the answer to the questions of why did Jesus go from 'a holy peace' feasting with the disciples to 'an awful anguish' suddenly gripping the soul of the Redeemer. What was in that cup? It smelled the stench of hell.

Leahy finishes the chapter with a line that will be forever remembered when we think back on this book and even more significantly the garden of Gethsemane....

"Lord, forgive us for the times we have read about Gethsemane with dry eyes."

No comments:

Post a Comment