Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The American Revolution....A Justified War?

After spending some time away on vacation I'm catching up a bit on what I've missed in the blog world. The 4th of July is my wedding anniversary so any time I see something about the 4th I'm all eyes.

I ran across a blog post from Denny Burk. He answered a question about the justification for the American Revolution, he quoted John MacArthur on why the American Revolution may not have been a just war according to the biblical principle in Romans 13.

Burk--I’d like to jump into this fray with a quote from John MacArthur.

MacArthur--“Over the past several centuries, people have mistakenly linked democracy and political freedom to Christianity. That’s why many contemporary evangelicals believe the American Revolution was completely justified, both politically and scripturally … But such a position is contrary to the clear teachings and commands of Romans 13:1-7. So the United States was actually born out of a violation of New Testament principles, and any blessings that God has bestowed on America have come in spite of that disobedience by the Founding Fathers. (Why Government Can’t Save You, pages 6-7)”

Burk--I’ve heard that there are some who justify the rebellion by saying that England was in violation of the Magna Carta.

Burk--As for me, it’s hard for me to believe that Paul and Peter (1 Pet 2:13-17) would have told the colonists to revolt when they told people living under governments just as evil (or more so, think: Nero) to submit.

Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment