Thursday, September 24, 2009

Who May Ascend & Who May Stand Before The Lord?

Psalm 24.4 says,

One Who has not lifted up his soul unto vanity - Unto that which is "vain," or which is "false."

This expression might refer to one who had not devoted himself to the worship of an idol - regarded as vain, or as nothing 1Corinthians 8:6; Isaiah 41:24; Psalm 115:4-8; or to one who had not embraced that which is false and vain in opinion; or to one who had not sworn falsely, or taken the name of God in vain, Exodus 20:7.

The probable meaning is, that he has not set his heart on vain things, or that which is false. He has sought after substantial truth, alike in the object of worship, in that which he professes to believe, and in the statements and promises which he makes to others. He aims to secure that which is true and real. He is in no sense "carried away" with that which is unreal and false.

~ Albert Barnes

My prayer is that God will protect our faith in Him, so that we will not get swept away by anything that is vain and false in our devotion to Him. I'm praying that we will not be too easily satisfied, but maintain a long, deep, and abiding desire for Christ.

1 comment:

  1. The Grace of God is in your life, Keith. I met you 13 years ago in Lima-Peru. I was your translator. Cissy and you worked in Las Delicias. I was seeking you for years. But Mike Jorgensen gave you blog. Well, my name is Lou and my email is : lcondes@hotmail.com. or you can seek me in : http://ourcommonhope.blogspot.com/

    God bless you, pastor Keith..

    ReplyDelete