Saturday, October 30, 2010

First Dallas Implodes!

I had the opportunity to serve a year as an intern in the Pastoral Ministries Department of First Baptist Church Dallas back in 1999-2000. I had previously served at another church in Dallas for 5 years as a student pastor and even though it was only for a year at First Dallas, it really was a sweet time in my life. It was while serving at First Dallas that my wife and I bowed our lives to the absolute Sovereignty of God over and in all things.

Stephanie and I had only been married for about 10 months when we received the invitation to minister at First Dallas. We enjoyed our time with the ministry staff and serving under then pastor, Mac Brunson, who arrived at First Dallas at the same time we did.

Recently First Dallas decided to enter into a new season of the church's history by tearing down and rebuilding its very old facilities in place of building new structures. Below is a short video of the demolition...it is a little weird to see something that has been around for many decades demolished in a moments time. It's weird b/c those were the very places that I taught Scripture, ministered to people, parked our vehicles, played basketball, etc.

At the end of the video you will be able to see the old historical sanctuary where the term 'expository preaching' was revived through the pulpit ministry of Dr. W.A. Criswell. I was a student at Criswell College and interned while Dr. Criswell was Pastor Emeritus at First Dallas shortly before his passing in 2002.

No comments:

Post a Comment