Thursday, June 17, 2010

Empowering Your Children To Live For God

I started reading Shepherding A Child's Heart today. I've been aware of Tedd Tripp's influence through his book on so many people's lives for years now and felt that it was time that I pick up and read it for myself.

As a parent and shepherd of five children, I often get things right and unfortunately I often get things wrong, so I'm going to a good source to help with some strategy for making disciples out of my children. I'm not content with only having an emphasis on Family Worship in our family. I think that is a good 'corporate' way for family life, but I truly want more for myself and my children in how they must see and understand God in their bright moments and even in their dark moments of disobedience.

Below is one of those sentences, turned into several sentences, that has the ability to change a person's life...especially for parents and their children.


"As the shepherd, you want to help your child understand himself as a creature made by and for God. You cannot show him these things merely by instruction; you must lead him on a path of discovery. You must shepherd his thoughts, helping him to learn discernment and wisdom.

This shepherding process is richer interaction than telling your child what to do and think. It involves investing your life in your child in open and honest communication that unfolds the meaning and purpose of life. It is not simply direction, but direction in which there is self-disclosure and sharing. Values and spiritual vitality are not simply taught, but caught.

Proverbs 13.20 says, "He who walks with the wise becomes wise." As a wise parent your objective is not simply to discuss, but to demonstrate the freshness and vitality of life lived in integrity toward God and your family. Parenting is shepherding the hearts of your children in the ways of God's wisdom.

Pray for me as I pour time and energy into understanding my role as the shepherd of my family better!

No comments:

Post a Comment