Monday, May 11, 2009

Real Changes In The Life Of The Christian

In my observation of people in the church over the years, it seems to me, that the older we get the less we 'change' spiritually. I'm not talking about growing in Bible knowledge, I'm directly addressing the issue of changing our ways (not doing things we shouldn't be doing and doing things we should be doing), which would be the fruit of good Bible knowledge.

So, what I mean by change is sanctification. There seems to be a complacency that develops over time. Ask yourself these questions,

1. By God's grace, what was the last thing, that was difficult for me to do, where I weeded out a specific sin in my life?

2. By God's grace, what was the last thing, that was difficult for me to do, I added a specific deed of righteousness to my life?

We should always be in the process of changing/sanctifying in Christ and for Christ. We should ask God to sanctify our hearts, so that the sanctified heart will produce life changes. So how does this happen? Here's an answer, from Tim Keller, if you're asking...

All change comes from deepening your understanding of the salvation of Christ and living out of the changes that understanding creates in your heart. Faith in the gospel re-structures our motivations, our self-understanding, our identity, and our view of the world. Behavioral compliance to rules without heart-change will be superficial and fleeting.

~ Timothy Keller, The Prodigal God

(HT: Of First Importance)

No comments:

Post a Comment