Thursday, June 18, 2009

Raising My Children To Be Servants, Not Merely Helpers

I ran across this post about raising our children to be servants over at Life2gether. It was a good reminder about how Stephanie and I are striving to raise our children to be servants as well.

We learned something early on in our marriage about the difference between 'serving people' and 'helping people'. This really encompasses an attitude in both categories.

When we serve others, we should have an attitude of submission, inferior to superior. This is the biblical meaning when addressing the two categories.

When we help others, the attitude that could be present is one of equality and says, "I'm here working along side of you and I'm as equal as you are and because I'm helping you, I actually may know more about this project than you do"....hence the word helping. This is not to say that we shouldn't help others, but it's a difference in perspective and attitude.

This may not sound like much and it may actually sound like we're splitting hairs, but I really believe that most people 'help' others, not 'serve' others. When we biblically serve others, we actually die to self, we seek the spiritual advancement of others at whatever cost it may be to us. We intentionally place ourselves under the authority of others, because this is what it means to be a 'servant'. This is not easy to do at times and actually goes against our nature.

So, I want my children to serve, not just merely help people. I want them to demonstrate with their lives that others are more important than themselves. I want them to display their love for Christ by serving like Christ.

Jesus tells us, "whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant." He does not say, "shall be your helper."

Let's teach our children to be servants of the King!

No comments:

Post a Comment