Friday, February 26, 2010

If Any Parent Is In Christ...

"Christian parents have to build their self-understanding on who they are in Christ, not on the quality of their parenting. This is more important than learning child-rearing techniques, because it changes entirely the framework of our child-rearing, moving us from performance-based living into grace-based living.

The great challenge of Christian parenting is learning to rest in our perfection in Christ and not be consumed with our performance or the performance of our children."

Dr. Eric Johnson

(HT:Life2gether)

One of the many things that I'm learning more about parenting and not just from reading books, but every day practice, is I'm beginning to see God work in the minds and thoughts of our boys. Their thoughts are becoming more biblical and therefore God-centered. This is pushing me more to live a gospel-centered family life, rather than just making sure my kids "perform" well in our home and in front of others.

Our church is a family friendly church and as a pastor who has 5 children I'm tempted to just make sure that my kids "act right" instead of pursuing their hearts for godliness.

It's an easier thing for me to get them to 'act right' than it is to pursue them for godliness. Many people's kids can be well-behaved, but from what kind of motivation? Coercion, reward, or love for God?

Frankly, I'm glad that God has shown me this early on in my parenting. Now I must be faithful to live it out. This is gospel living at its core.

"It is he who will go as a forerunner before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, TO TURN THE HEARTS OF THE FATHERS BACK TO THE CHILDREN, and the disobedient to the attitude of the righteous, so as to make ready a people prepared for the Lord." ~ Luke 1.17

No comments:

Post a Comment