Friday, February 12, 2010

James 1.13-16 And Your Children

Over the last few weeks I have been preaching through James 1.13-16...

"Let no one say when he is tempted , "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren."
As a family we have been talking about all the many ways we are tempted to sin against God. One of the things that I was challenged to do is to find out what my wife is being tempted with each day and our older children. And one of the interesting and humbling things that has come out of these daily discussions with our children is that Stephanie and I now have one of our boys, Micah, who is asking us almost every day, "have you been tempted today to sin?" Wow!

This is something that I wasn't expecting to happen or even ready for, but in a good way is 'rocking our world'. I mean...I wasn't expecting to be held accountable by my six year old and have to give an account of the things that are tempting me in life...whether I stand firm against them or not.

So have any of you found this to be taking place in your family?

Maybe you're a few years ahead of us in the parenting years and can offer some good biblical advice or encouragement. I find this to be very interesting and healthy, but at the same time it is somewhat different for your child to ask you this question every day expecting a truthful answer.

I am happy and thankful to God that he is taking temptation to sin very seriously and I hope he perseveres in his life to always battle the enemy within and remain strong in the grace of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment