Friday, April 10, 2009

Day 13 -- The Cross He Bore

Well today we end The Cross He Bore with the imagery of outer darkness. Leahy takes us once again to the cross where at this time the sun begins to loose it's brightness behind the dreadful clouds of the Father's wrath being poured out on His Son. It's at this time that the Redeemer is experiencing my hell and your hell if you've been redeemed by Him. So why the darkness of the clouds? Why the removing of the outer light?


"it mercifully concealed Christ when he experienced his darkest moment on the cross. No human eye must see him then. This darkness coincided with Christ's descent into hell. Now he felt the unmitigated wrath of a holy God against sin. That darkness was a symbol of God's wrath. Hendriksen says that God's wrath was 'burning itself out in the heart of Jesus', adding, 'Hell came to Calvary that day, and the Saviour descended into it and bore its horrors in our stead.' In that hour of blackness He had nothing, nothing but the guilt of sin of all those for whom He died."

No exaggeration here....this chapter caught me off guard. I know I read it a year ago, but this chapter slipped my memory. I mean, other than this book, I can't tell you the last time I heard a sermon or even a study for that matter dealing with the darkness of this moment. The details that Leahy brings forth in this chapter cut to the heart.

"A great deal has been revealed: substitution, conflict with the evil one, reconciliation and more--God's holiness, justice and love. But how much of any of these can the human mind grasp? Is not Calvary a place veiled in darkness, even as God himself dwells in thick darkness, a place so holy and so awful that the wisest thing to do is to remove one's shoes and bow in penitent, grateful silence?"

WOW! AMAZING!

I hope you all encountered the gospel over the last 13 days for the first time all over again. I hope that you will meditate on the Redeemer's sufferings. I hope that you will share with others about His sufferings for sinners. My great hope is that you love Jesus more now then you did 13 days ago and your affections for Him have increased greatly.

Thank you for taking this journey with me. I hope it is one that you will remember for ever, but that you will take once again next year at this time....passion week!

"He is the true light and those who follow him 'will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." ~ 1 Peter 2.9 & John 8.12

No comments:

Post a Comment