Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Truth Of The Cross--R.C. Sproul

Last year I received a copy of R.C. Sproul's book The Truth of The Cross, along with another 15 or so books, at the Together for the Gospel Conference in Louisville, Kentucky. I started reading it a couple of days ago. I've always loved listening to Sproul as he teaches during his famous, chalk in hand, lectures.

This work is really rich with meaning and depth on the atoning work of Christ. One thing that really gripped me was his illustration on how far the ramifications of our sin reaches. Sproul says, "Sin is cosmic treason."

"We rarely take time to think through the ramifications of our sin. We fail to realize that in even the slightest sins we commit, such as little white lies and other peccadilloes, we are violating the law of the Creator of the universe. In the smallest sin we defy God's right to rule and to reign over His creation. Instead, we seek to usurp for ourselves the authority and the power that belong properly to God. Even the slightest sin does violence to His holiness, to His glory, and to His righteousness. Every sin, no matter how seemingly insignificant, is truly an act of treason against the cosmic King."

I'm grieved to admit this, but I often find myself rather quickly responding to such a statement saying, "amen". I've recently come to do some soul searching, examining or just a plain spiritual heart check on my life when I hear such a statement, rather than just shout a quick 'amen'. I believe it to be a better practice by meditating on the significant reach for my sin and to quickly go to the cross where it has been paid in full, because it no longer condemns me, but has already been condemned in the cross of Christ.

This kind of practice is something that I have to coach myself to do. It doesn't come natural for me. What seems to come more natural to me is a quick 'amen' response, because I wholeheartedly embrace such a theological claim. But meditation on this doctrinal truth, I believe, is a much better practice that produces a response that ushers a much more resolved 'hallelujah amen' for the atoning work of Christ on my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment