Monday, April 27, 2009

The Saving Substitute

Sproul says, in Chapter five of The Truth of the Cross, that Jesus lived vicariously through us as a substitute, dieing in our place, for our sin.

"Jesus acts as the Substitute, taking our place at the bar of God's justice....which means that when He offered an atonement, it was not to satisfy God's justice for His own sins, but for the sins of others. He stepped into the role of the Substitute, representing His people. He didn't lay down His life for Himself; He laid it down for His sheep. He is our ultimate Substitute."

"A substitute has appeared in space and time, appointed by God Himself, to bear the weight and the burden of our transgressions, to make expiation for our guilt, and to propitiate the wrath of God on our behalf. This is the gospel. Therefore, if you take away the substitutionary atonement, you empty the cross of its meaning and drain all the significance out of the passion of our Lord Himself. If you do that, you take away Christianity itself."
All I can say is that the more I preach, the more I become enamored with the gospel. It simply cannot escape the sermon, no matter what I'm preaching. It all comes full circle to the atoning work of Christ for my life. The gospel is not getting old, it's becoming more and more alive to me than ever before!

I think that I'm more grateful and excited about the Gospel today, than the day I was saved (19 years ago). For those who have long since embraced the gospel as well, this is my hope in reminding you, to look to Christ evermore!

"Therefore, I will always be ready to remind you of these things, even though you already know them, and have been established in the truth which is present with you. I consider it right, as long as I am in this earthly dwelling, to stir you up by way of reminder"
~2 Peter 1.12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment